Sunday 10 February 2008

Let's put an end to the dreadful legacy of the 2007 floods

25th January 2008

Dear Sir

Having taken a recent stroll along the Don, I was struck by how last Summer's floods have left Sheffielders with a legacy to remember for decades to come. My walk revealed our need to stop using plastic carrier bags.

A clear water line marks the flood's highest points as carrier bags are either stuffed or twisted around branches high above the ground. This shocking sight can be seen for miles along Sheffield's river banks.

I myself am coming to terms with carrying my rucksack to the local shop. I recently bought a re-useable cotton bag from my supermarket for as little as £2.

There are now all sorts of colours, shapes and sizes with long handles. All this reminds me of the old cotton bags that my gran use to carry before plastic bags came in - how right they were in those days.

However, as I look along shopping aisles, people are still using between 2 and 8 carrier bags to carry home their shopping. They will end up being thrown away, shipped off to China or perhaps get flooded down the river, probably next Summer!

All of it caused by climate change, and all because we use too many plastic carrier bags. How interesting that Bangladesh banned plastic bags because they made flooding worse. China is about to ban them too. Maybe Sheffield should be next?

The taxing of bags would be a good start. However, I think if local people took a walk down the Don to see the plastic for themselves, perhaps then people will stop using the wretched things. This is my planet too!

Krystyna Haywood
Sheffield Green Party

1 comment:

Faith said...

Good photos!! Im proud to say that I use the reusable cotton bags from tescos and that charity shops dont purchase them anymore its not allowed so thats a good start isnt it.